Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Mike Myers Austin Powers...

So I'm sitting here inside theater 5 awaiting the showing of AFI Night at the movies presentation of Austin Powers. This is a very cool event hosted by the Arclight Hollywood. The theater closed it's doors to all regular business to accommodate each of these movies. Initially I was very worried that I wasn't going to make it on time, there was bad traffic between here and the Hollywood bowl, probably from Niel Diamonds adoring fans(I'm actually seeing the Diamond for free tomorrow night.). But I made it with 10 minutes to spare, this was supposed to start at 7:00, now it is 7:38 and still nothing, but I anticipate it to start soon. In fact I'm hearing the ushers saying that we are moments away, so I am going to put my AMAZING iPhone away and report back later...

*several hours later*

The movie was loads of fun, Austin Powers has always been one of my favorite comedies of all time. Before the screening the film's Director, Jay Roach, came out, shared a short story about the issue the production actually had with getting Sharks with "freakin" lasers attached to their heads. The budget wouldn't permit so they really couldn't get sharks. Mike Myers, in all seriousness suggested to Jay they get mutated ill-tempered sea bass. Jay liked it so much, that it was rewritten and added into the movie. See it for here...



After Jay Roach did his piece, he introduced the one the only, Mike Myers. Mike told of his love for the Austin Powers franchise and actor Robert Wagner aka "No. 2." Apparently "RJ" as his closest friends called him, made a lasting impression on Mike. As you would assume, Mike was full of jokes and funny stories. Unfortunately there was no hint of a possible fourth installment of the A.P. series.

The AFI night at the Movies event was very cool. I will be attending next year and so should you. Below is a list of the films and actors that presented at the event.


No comments: