Monday, May 19, 2008

What a day, what a day, the 17th of May...

The 17th of May has always been a big date in the world of Kristian Odland. All my life I have celebrated the day as the "syttende mai" or Norway's Independence Day. It is also my parents wedding anniversary. This year marks yet another monumental day in the world of Kristian, for today I bought my first brand new car, EVER.

For the last 5 years I have been driving around my trusty little 1997 Toyota Rav4 (above). Donned as The Silver Hornet, it was my very first vehicle. It was able to get me safely up and down the snowy roads of Parley's Canyon during the final 2 years of my tenure as a student at the University of Utah. It also withstood the long trek from Utah to Los Angeles in 2006, and even the everyday wear and tear of that which is Los Angeles traffic. But like every beginning, there has to be an end.
I have been talking about getting a new car for a few months, and have even been saving some extra money during that time as well. I decided to go "look" at cars on Saturday and get a head start on my auto shopping. I arrived at the dealership in North Hollywood, touched base with my contact and went for a little stroll. The test drive was awesome. Everything about the car was a dream. The only exception was that the clutch was a little sensitive, so there were a few unexpected bumps in the ride(normal behavior of a transmission with less than 1,000 miles). When I got out of the car, I was sold. It took a little longer than I would have liked, but I finally cut the deal, signed the contract and pulled my new baby off the lot. For the FIRST time in my life I was officially "in love." With only 5 miles showing on the mileage meter, the sunroof open, and my spirits high, I could have not felt any better about purchasing my 2008 Scion tC.

*A little Knight Rider Nostalgia

No comments: