Sunday, February 17, 2008

In Bruges.....


As a fan of heist films I couldn't resist checking out Focus Features newly released In Bruges (pronounced \bruezh\). This comedy, the opening film at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival, pits Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson as two British Hitmen who are sent to Bruges, Belgium to hide after a job in London goes very wrong. Gleeson's character is very enamored by the medieval city, while Farrell is miserable and wants out. Several things complicate their stay while the two contract killers lay low, from a midget movie being shot in the city streets to an ill fated romance that one of them gets caught up in. In the spirit of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, first time writer/director Martin McDonagh, keeps the laughs coming all while the suspense continues to develop.

Ralph Fiennes makes a superb villain. Without ruining the plot of the film, I will say that not only is Ralph's performance outstanding, but his dialog and accent are noteworthy. Easily one of the best villains in film this year.

Originally I had not planned on seeing this flick, but we were offered the opportunity to screen it at work, on the Universal lot for free, so I checked it out. And I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. I would even go so far to say that it is one of the best movies I've seen this year. Not only is it very funny, it has a bit of a spiritual theme and the characters are very likable. I recommend that you don't just take my word for it, go see In Bruges it for yourself...


No comments: