Thursday, March 06, 2008

Super Heroes and Comedy, do they make a dynamic duo?

Spoof films are one of my favorite things to laugh at. Yes they are usually over-cheesy, and just plain unoriginal. But I don't think this underrated genre gets the respect it deserves. My love for spoofs or "Parody Films" developed at an early age when I was a kid. Although I didn't completely understand the jokes and all the movie references, Airplane! was the first true spoof that I saw and actually remember having a fondness for. It wasn't too long after that I saw Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein and was COMPLETELY in love with parody movies.

The 1980s was the decade in which the spoof genre truly blossomed. After all, the first film in the greatest spoof franchise of all time was produced in 1988. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! raised the bar to comedic levels not yet reached by previous parodies, and added over-the-top, ridiculously stupid, yet monstrously hilarious gags into the story line. It also made Leslie Nielsen the undisputed king of the genre. He has since appeared in dozens of parody films since including: Dracula: Dead and Loving It, Spy Hard, The Scary Movie Franchise, and the upcoming Superhero Movie.

With that said, I must point out that in recent years, the spoof has been over used and no longer has the same charm and appeal it once had. Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, and The Scary Movie Franchise have all but ruined the genre and have virtually scared me away from taking any part in it. However, I will admit that I am a little interested in the Superhero Movie that is due out in theaters on March 28th. David Zucker, the guy that brought us Top Secret!, BASEketball, and The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! is producing the picture. So in my mind there is some hope that Superhero Movie could be entertaining. But I am not getting my hopes too high for this one.

Now let me just make fun of it for a bit. Apparently this one is a
send-up of all superhero films, from Batman Begins, X Men, Spider-Man to the Fantastic Four. And like any recent-day spoof a cast of major B-Listers like Pamela Anderson, Tracy Morgan, and Christopher McDonald will be making complete fools of themselves for the sake of comedy. Take this picture of Ms. Anderson, for example. Clearly sporting an outfit similar to those worn by the members of the Fantastic 4, only in this case the tailor forgot to take into account her DYNAMIC DUO.

Tracy Morgan, who you might recognize from SNL and 30 Rock, plays "Dr. Xavier," the tradition spoof trademark of using a very similar, but different name from the original character. (example: Professor Xavier now: Dr. Xavier). I happen to be a HUGE T. Morgan fan, so I will admit that he alone is one of the main driving forces behind my interest in seeing this potential train wreck. If nothing at all, I'll pay, watch, laugh and leave. All in good fun. Check out the trailer...

No comments: