Tuesday, March 11, 2008

We've changed a lot and then some, some - 311 Day

Today has been a day that I have long celebrated. Since my days in high school. March 11th a.k.a. 3-11 Day has always been a reminder to me of my love for the band that is 311.

I still remember the first time I heard the best band to come out of Nebraska. I was in my sophomore year of high school, and I worked at the Nike Outlet Store at the Outlet Mall in Park City. One of my coworkers was really into this band, I had heard of it but only knew one or two songs. Spending many a day working in the shipping room, this guy and I often listened and talked about 311 nearly everyday. I was eventually hooked. It took nearly no convincing at all, 311 blends the style of a variety of musical styles including alternative rock, punk, hip hop, reggae, and funk. A very unique, yet infectious blend that made an addict out of me. Still, after all these years (10+) I still consider myself a die hard fan.

3-11 Day is the one day of the year that 311 dedicates to it's fans, and in turn the fans celebrate the band. It's a mutual appreciation celebration! In addition to this, 311 puts on a one-of-a-kind show to celebrate the event. This has been a tradition for the band ever since March 11, 2000. The band usually plays a much longer set than the typical 311 show, and in addition they play a wider variety of songs, usually fan favorites. Today 311 will bring the show to New Orleans. Oh, how I wish I could be there. It is, after all, a goal of mine to eventually be numbered among the crazed fans at a 3-11 Day show. I really need to do this before the end of the band or even my life, which ever comes first.

HAPPY 3-11 DAY EVERYBODY!

In honor of the band, go and pop in the Blue Album and let the good grooves vibe!


1 comment:

JedBoy said...

Was that Steve??