Saturday, January 12, 2008

Foreign gets SCARY.....


If you want to see something that is scary, but isn't predictable I highly recommend The Orphanage. Produced by Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro, this supernatural thriller more than exceeded my expectation. Very few movies hold my attention well after I have left the theater, but this Spanish film had me pondering well after. I would even go as far to say that this is the best thriller I have seen in months. Most of the time I am less enthusiastic about films with subtitles, but the story was SO enthralling I barely even noticed that I was reading them.

The story revolves around a woman. a former orphan, who buys the orphanage she grew up in, and converts the old building into her residence alongside her husband and only son. Strange things begin happening, causing her to revisit her childhood memories. Eventually her only son disappears and she is convinced the spirits in the house are to blame. There are several unexpected twists throughout the film and the end has you saying "OH NO!!" The suspense in the climactic scene is so THICK you can literally cut the tension with a knife. This is a MUST-SEE film. grab a date and get to your local theater...

1 comment:

CPunch said...

what if i don't have a date? can i still masterbate to the subtitles? i hear that's acceptable in spanish film.