Friday, January 04, 2008

There is sunshine in my soul today...

With this blasted writers strike still in full force things have really slowed down here at the office I am finding that I am having a lot of extra time to surf the web. Today, I was overjoyed to see that two of my favorites movies from 2008 are coming out on DVD this month.

First, 3:10 to Yuma. Many critics say this movie has brought back the western. Although this is a remake I really enjoyed it. Christian Bale became my favorite actor this year, and it his role in this movie that was the last straw. Great action, suspense and dialog.

Also, out this month Danny Boyle's science fiction thriller Sunshine will hit shelves on January 8th. This film was only released in a limited number of theaters across the country. But if you didn't get the chance to see this movie I highly recommend that you buy or Netflix this one. Set in the not so distant future this film sets a team of astronauts on a mission to re-ignite the dying sun to save the human race. The team led by Robert Capa (Cillian Murphy) runs into several MAJOR hiccups while on their mission to detonate a massive bomb, able to restore the Sun's natural state. Many homages to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ridley Scott's Alien.

Both of these titles are on my wish list. They should be on yours.

No comments: