Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Two Movies and one great Filmmaker...

One of my favorite things about living in LA is the close proximity to great movie events. A few months back I discovered this little historic theater in Santa Monica called the Aero Theatre. I found this place when the theater announced it would screen the widely popular 80s film The Monster Squad. After screening the classic, I noticed that the the place frequently has screenings of retro films. The next engagement I saw on the schedule was a double screening of two Richard Donner classics Goonies and Ladyhawke and the best thing about it, Richard Donner would be there in person to talk about his films. That was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Not only did Mr. Donner direct both of those films, but he is known for directing the Lethal Weapon Franchise, Superman(1978), and Maverick among others. I bought a ticket to that screening and have been a fan of the Aero Theatre ever since.

Now to the point of this blog, on January 23-27 the Aero is showcasing 5 double features of comedies directed by "spoof Godfather," Mel Brooks. The clincher is that the man, Mel Brooks, will be there in person to take questions in between films at two of the screenings. The best part is that I am going to one of them, I bought tickets yesterday. We will be screening Blazing Saddles and The History of the World: Part I, two classics. I am very excited, Blazing Saddles is one of Mel's most popular comedies. Stay tuned, I'll have an update after the screening.

No comments: