Sunday, January 06, 2008

Gone with the Woman...

It's been a wet and dreary weekend. I cannot remember the last time it has rained as much as it has. In fact the streets have virtually been turned into rivers. But there has been some light at the end of this weekend. I just got back from the Scandinavian Film Festival L.A. 2008.

I came across this film festival as I was reading Variety magazine. I noticed an add for this film (pictured to the right, Tatt av Kvinnen) and noticed that it was directed by the same man that directed one of my ALL-TIME favorite Norwegian films Elling. I had to see this movie no matter the cost. After all, its not often that I get the chance to watch a film made in my motherland on the big screen. So I ventured out to Beverly Hills to see Tatt av Kvinnen aka Gone with the Woman.

When I arrived I was surprised to see that the lobby was full of various scandos of all ages, shapes and sizes. Even as I bought my ticket the lady at the ticket box said,

"You're name is Kristian Odland? Snakker du Norsk?" (Do you speak Norwegian?)

I replied, "Ja det snakker jeg." (Yes, I do!).

She then said, "Du m
å bare snakke sånn da!" (Feel free to speak it, then!)

Finally, after several years I am surrounded by my kinsfolk. Kind of a fun situation to be in. Shortly after buying our tickets we were told that the director of the film, Petter Næss will not only introduce the film in person, but will take questions afterwards.

I must say that I REALLY enjoyed the movie. It is about a young man and his troubles with his difficult girlfriend. She seems to always pop up at every inopportune time and ruin any of his plans. Over time he comes to realize the complexity of love and more importantly, the complexity of women. Before long Marianne, his girlfriend, has moved in and is turning his life upside down.

He finds his escape at the local swimming pool, where he meets Glenn, played by Peter Stormare (click picture for larger view). Glenn seems to have all the answers to his woman problems and gives him a shoulder to lean on. (You might recognize Peter Stormare from blockbuster hits Armageddon, Bad Boys II, Fargo, and The Big Lebowski.) Between Glenn and all his friends in the Sauna, our lead character finds himself in a difficult situation.

Things take a very interesting turn when Marianne talks him into taking a long trip through Europe. Upon their arrival in a rural French town, the couple has a falling out. Marianne decides to remain, but our main character goes back to Paris to venture out on his own. In doing so he meets a beautiful French girl and experiences first hand what it is like to actually get along. He feels guilty for almost cheating on Marianne and returns home to Norway.

As he is alone and waits, Marianne finally comes back and traps him, yet again with sex. Using his passion for swimming, Marianne tells him that she is turned on by men that wear swimming goggles during the "horizontal mamba." The rest of the film tells how he manages to escape her devious clutches and find true love. I don't want to tell you anymore without ruining the end. But I must say that this is a fine film, too bad it will never reach theaters here in the states, it would be a great date movie. However, this film is also being considered for "Best Foreign Language Film" for this years Academy Awards, so there has to be more to it than just Norwegian appeal. If you ever get the chance this is a must see. Don't worry I haven't already ruined anything for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very interesting evening. The movie sounds like a lot of fun. . . .

MD