Saturday, January 12, 2008

Poppin my professional hockey cherry...


Today was a pretty monumental day in my life. I attended my first EVER professional hockey game. My friend hooked me up with some tickets to the Los Angeles Kings / Dallas Stars game at the Staples Center. I had been to the Staples center several times before, to see the Clippers play. Although this wasn't my first hockey experience, it was the first time I had seen an NHL game first hand and I must say that it was quite the experience. The cool crisp air in the stadium reminded me of the cool Park City mountain air back home. The sound of skates scraping on the ice and the puck slapping against the hockey sticks spoke to my soul. I knew I was experiencing something special. The game was surprisingly good. We hadn't even reached our seats and the score was already 0 - 2, in Dallas' favor. Now, let me explain a little something, for those of you that KNOW hockey, two goals in one period is VERY unlikely. So right off the bat, I assumed that the game wouldn't be very close and we would be lucky to see any more goals scored by either team. It wasn't much longer after that, the Kings scored a goal. Shortly after that goal, they scored their second, bringing both teams to a tie at the end of the first period.

"NOW WE HAVE A GAME!"

Not only was the game great, but so was the company. My friend, Katie, hooked us up with the seats, so thanks to her. Along with myself, Matt, Rafaela, Katie, Amy, Micalea and a few others, we filled nearly two rows. We all scored some sweet red shirts and killer LA Kings ball caps. The game carried on like any other, turnovers, several penalties, but unfortunately there were no fights. I don't care who you are, one thing is certain, if you're going to a hockey game in the U.S. of A. you're a hopin' for some fight to break out. But I'm not complaining too much, because the Kings ended up winning, which is a feat in itself, seeing that the team is ranked last in their conference. And not only did they win, but the game ended up going into overtime, which went goalless, so officials were forced to call a shootout. Now, besides fights breaking out, shootouts are the next best thing in hockey. LA went first, SCORED! Dallas followed, a miss! This put LA up 1-0 in a best out of three shots. The pressure was building on Dallas and LA fans were ecstatic, feeling that a victory was near. LA sent its second man in the shootout, a miss! Dallas went, SCORE!! Now the numbers are dead even, 1-1, with only one shot remaining for eachsquad. LA's third man, had to put one in the net to pull out the win and this is what happened...


Add to My Profile | More Videos

Yes, I shot that on my digital camera. The game was a lot of fun. If anyone is willing to hit up a Kings game in the future, I am your man.

No comments: