Saturday, January 19, 2008

A MONSTROUSLY entertaining movie...

This weekend I saw a movie that I had heard and read extensively about, and yet I was still very surprised and impressed by the end result. Cloverfield, produced by J.J. Abrams, is an apocalyptic thriller that manages to keep the audience on the edges of their seats. This film puts a creative and unique twist by using a "camcorder point of view." I can assure you that this flick pulls off what the Blair Witch Project tried, that is make a legitimately entertaining movie with a very REAL feel.

The one and ONLY complaint I have about the movie is the fact that the human eye struggles with all the quick movements and if one chose a seat in the front half of the theater they would be regretting their choice an hour into the movie. But those that sat in the back half, would find it less challenging to follow the action.

If you haven't figured it out by now, this film documents the invasion of a giant monster and the path of destruction it leaves on the island of Manhattan. The movie is supposed to be a piece of evidence gathered by the Department of Defense, a video tape allegedly found in what used to be known as Central Park. And I must say that the production value is high enough to trick the audience into thinking the film is a record of an unbelievable attack. If you go see this movie you will have a riot. It is highly entertaining. If you don't want to take my word for it, check out the record-breaking numbers Cloverfield pulled off in the box office during its opening weekend.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go destroy Downtown Los Angeles...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From a 1st person shooter gamer, movie buff and also an artistic POV (all three I possess), this movie was one of the best films I have ever seen.

JedBoy said...

I'm glad you liked it, I was planning on seeing it, but wasn't sure. Now, with your glowing endorsement, I'll definitely make my way to the local cinema!!